Bring in spring with this easy butterfly crochet pattern. These little guys are happy and bright and they work up so quickly you will want to make many. They are a great way to use up your yarn scraps too. You can change the size by using different types and sizes of yarn. Mix up the colors, yarns and decorations and have fun!
Size: Various sizes, depending upon yarn used
• Any yarn desired in various colors
• Hook as needed for yarn
• Yarn needle for weaving ends
• Beads/wire optional
Gauge: Not important for this project
Beg – beginning
Ch – chain
Dc – double crochet
Hdc – half double crochet
R – Round
Sc – single crochet
Sl st(s) – slip stitch(es)
St(s) – stitch(es)
Tr – treble
• Beginning ch1 does not count as a stitch
• Start each Row in the same stitch as the beginning ch1
• Number in ( ) at end of Round indicates the number of stitches in that Round
• Work instructions in [ ] as a set, the designated number of times
• Use different colors for each round.
• Add beads, sequins or other materials to the body or wings.
• Use different weight/type of yarns and threads for different sizes and looks.
R1: Make a Magic Circle, ch2 (counts as hdc), 2 hdc, ch2, [3 hdc, ch2] repeat 6 more times, join with sl st to top of beg ch2. Pull beginning yarn tail to close center hole. Fasten off, join new color in any ch2 space. (24 hdc)
R2: Working in each ch2 space, [ch3, (counts as dc), 2dc, ch2, 3dc] in first space, [3dc, ch2, 3dc] in each remaining ch2 space, join with sl st to beg ch3. Fasten off, join new color in any ch2 space. (48 dc)
R3: Work in each ch2 space as noted below, sl st in area between each group of 3dc, join after last repeat and fasten off.
• 1st ch2 space: [ch3 (counts as dc), 7dc], sl st in space between groups of 3dc
• 2nd, 5th, 6th ch2 space: 8dc, sl st in space between groups of 3dc
• 3rd, 4th, 7th ch2 space: [hdc, dc, 2 tr, ch3, sl st in first ch, 2 tr, dc, hdc] in ch2 space, sl st in space between groups of 3dc
• 8th ch2 space: [hdc, dc, 2 tr, ch3, sl st in first ch, 2 tr, dc, hdc] in ch2 space, sl st in last space between groups of 3dc, sl st to top of beg ch3. Fasten off.
Finishing: With wrong sides touching, fold in half so that the petals with the points are together (these are the bottom wings). Stich down center to hold closed. There are various ways to do this:
• Chain stitch (surface stitch) through all thicknesses.
• Use a straight stitch using a contrast color using a yarn needle.
• Use wire or other material and twist in place.
For the antennas, cut a piece of yarn two times as long as desired antenna length, slip in place at top. To stiffen the antennas, you may use a little bit of fabric glue and dab it on rubbing it up the antenna, when it dries they will be hardened.
Copyright © 2015 by Crochet Zone. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher.
You may also like: